Skylights are a great feature in most homes to allow extra light into rooms. The downside is that they have the potential to let sunlight overheat your rooms in the summer and they allow heat to escape in the winter.
Skylights come in three different operating systems: Manual (used with a pole or crank or manually moved with your hands), battery operated (comes with a remote and a battery pack, batteries need to be changed as needed), and hard-wired motorized (operate with a remote or switch control).
Skylight shades available from Hunter Douglas:
- Manual called Simplicity or SkyLift™
- Battery operated called SkyLift™ with PowerView®
- Hard-wired called Duette SkyLift™ with Hard-wired motorization
Simplicity™ skylight system, available on Duette® and Applause® honeycomb shades, is a manual lifting system specifically manufactured for rectangular windows and especially suited for skylights.
- For greater control of overhead sun, this skylight system brings the light diffusion and energy efficiency benefits of honeycomb shades to skylight openings.
- Greater light diffusion means you’ll experience less glare on television and computer screens.
- Side-by-side mounting of shades allows for coverage of windows measuring more than 48 square feet, individual shades cannot exceed more than 25 sq. feet.
- Can be ordered to have fabric stack at top, bottom or either side, optional extension pole available (extends to 120”)
- SkyLift™ now available in 3/8″ semi-opaque and all ¾” Duette® and Applause® fabrics.
- SkyLift™ honeycomb shades cover larger openings over previous skylight systems, up to 80 square feet in area depending on fabric.
- Three available hardware colors—Aspen White, Gardenia White and Bronze.
- Available in top stack only.
- Manual SkyLift™ system features a turning mechanism centered on the bottom frame that engages with the optional crank handle or telescoping extension pole for shades within ground reach.— The crank handle or telescoping extension pole is required to operate manual SkyLift™ shades.
- SkyLift™ PowerView® shades less than 31″ wide will feature an outside-mounted satellite battery pack, battery life estimated at 1-2 years depending on use www.hunterdouglas.com/skylight-shades
Skylight Shades available from Thermal Designs (a Boulder based company):
- Roman Style fabric shade in a manual or hardwired operating system
- Gravity fed system, aluminum tubing at 10” intervals, nylon gliders, Four seasons shade track
- Many durable, moisture-proof fabrics to choose from, including solar screens from Phifer and other fabrics from Sunbrella